Monday, September 8, 2008

The language barrier

Jade has been coming home from kindergarten speaking more and more Spanish every day. I was kind of curious about it until today. It was my first day as mommy helper. Mrs. Watson asked me to have each of the kids lay down on a piece of paper, so I could trace them (what a fun project!). I was doing pretty good with the first kid except she was taller than the paper. The next kid was more of a challenge. He just kept looking at me like I had lost my mind. Fortunately, one of the little girls in the class informed me that he doesn't speak any English. We had to go find another little boy who speaks both Spanish and English to translate for me. By the time I was done tracing all the kids I had found 2 who did not speak any English. Well, that explains a lot doesn't it.
As if that wasn't enough, I was at the laundromat tonight (as my handyman husband so professionally puts it, our dryer "took a dump" :( There was this little boy who was fascinated with taking his drink (a cup from a convenience store) and putting it in and out of my laundry basket. I saw what was coming, but he wasn't screaming, so I just let it happen. He spilled his drink all over my basket. His mother had to go asked her husband how to ask me if it was my basket. She felt really bad. I was trying to tell her that it was ok (my children have done far worse) Unfortunately, my Spanish is bad enough I don't even use it.
Anyways, today has been an adventure in not speaking Spanish. Maybe I should have listened better in college.
P.S. The laundromat on bluff street has mice. I'm not sure I'll be using that one again.

No comments: